Special Tomato CatchUp Chair™
The New CatchUp Chair by Special Tomato is a very stable, highly adjustable, mobile seat. It is easily configured without tools to provide a perfect fit seat with foot support at the perfect height for a variety of tabletop surfaces. It is appropriate for individuals with special needs who require mild to moderate additional postural support in sitting. The CatchUp Chair fits children through adults weighing up to 250 lbs. “Catching up” and staying caught up with your child’s growth and a proper fit has never been this easy.
Therapists, teachers, and parents know that when a child sits in a chair that fits properly, they can maintain good posture and tolerate being still and focused for longer periods of time. They do not fatigue as quickly. When children are seated comfortably, they can direct their attention to important matters such as learning, eating, creating, and socializing instead of being distracted by postural adjustments and wiggling to get comfortable. This is even more critical for individuals with special needs who require appropriate support to maintain their postural stability to reach their greatest functional potential.
To achieve a proper fit, children should sit in a chair that has a seat depth 2 inches shorter than the distance from their hip and their knee. Their back should rest against the seat back. Their knees should easily bend over the seat edge with some space between the front edge of the seat and the back of the knee. Feet should be flat on the floor or flat on a supportive surface such as a footrest or foot stool. Stabilization of a well aligned seated posture always includes stabilization of lower extremity position. When working at a tabletop, forearms should rest comfortably on the surface with elbows bent. To achieve this perfect fit for growing children, the Catch Up Chair offers a high degree of adjustability. Seat depth, seat to footrest height, seat to floor height and backrest height are all adjustable in 1 in. increments. Each graduated adjustment is numbered so it is easy to note the proper configuration for different tabletop heights or for multiple users. This chair can also achieve a perfect fit for individuals with special needs who are not typically proportioned. With the Special Tomato CatchUp Chair, you will never say “This chair doesn’t fit right” again!
The CatchUp Chair has a compact design making it an excellent choice for schools, therapy clinics, and hospitals as well as homes. Simple, tool-free adjustments to the seat and footplate make it easy to perform quick adjustments in environments where multiple children use the same chair. The CatchUp Chair comes standard with Seat & Back Pads as well as a 3-Point Adjustable Pelvic Positioning Belt plus both a Small & Large Size 5-Point Adjustable Chest Positioning Harness. Pelvic Belt and Chest Harness stabilize a well aligned posture. Sturdy metal frame construction ensures years of reliable service. 5 in. Swivel Locking Castors allow for easy maneuverability and floor clearance. Footrest can be moved back and out of the way during transfers into and out of the chair.
Optional accessories include:
- Small & Large Height Adjustable Arm Rests- Small armrests are mounted on the inside of the chair frame. Large Armrests are mounted on the outside of the frame. The inside width of the seat between Small Armrests is 14.5in. The inside width of the seat between Large Armrests is 16in. Armrest length is 10 in. for size Small, 14 in. for size Large.
- Generous Tray (24in. w x 17in. d x 2in. h) Tray is depth adjustable. *Arm Rests are Required for Attachment of Tray.
- Height Adjustable Back Rest Extension- Extends the seat back height by 14in.
- Winged Headrest- Provides lateral (side) support for head to encourage midline position.
For added support and comfort, combine the CatchUp Chair with our Special Tomato Soft Touch Seat & Back Liners or a Special Tomato Soft-Touch Sitter. Both products are made from a soft-to-touch material that is latex-free, anti-microbial, and easily wiped clean. The contoured Seat and Back Liner cushions promote good posture and can be used separately or together. The new Soft-Touch Liner Hip-Flex® Seat has been specifically designed and shaped with a "living hinge" to comfortably move with and support the body as it reclines. The CatchUp Chair does not recline but the liners can be used with other Special Tomato products that offer a recline function like the Recliner Support System, EIO Push Chair and Jogger Stroller. The Special Tomato Soft Touch Sitter has a contoured back that supports the natural curvature of the spine. Lateral trunk supports and head support (occipital ridge) are molded into the seat itself and will help the user maintain a well aligned upright position. The contoured seat is designed to allow the ischial tuberosities (ITs) commonly called “sit bones” to comfortably sink into the seat thereby creating the stable base required for the foundation of the seated posture. The contoured seat also includes a 15 degree ramped angle with built in abductor. Both features ensure a well aligned hip position that discourages extensor thrusting in the seat.
Is this Product Right for You?
- A Perfect Fit Seat at a Perfect Fit Height
- Appropriate for individuals with special needs requiring mild to moderate postural support in sitting
- Perfect for multiple user environments with tool free calibrated adjustments
- Accommodates users up to 250 lbs!
- Questions? Our therapists can help you with a proper fit. To start please click SIZING HELP and complete a simple form, or call us at (866) 529-8407.
Special Tomato CatchUp Chair Standard Features Include:
- Stable, Compact Chair Design with Sturdy Metal Frame
- Adjustable Seat Height from 13 in. to 29 in.
- Adjustable Seat Depth from 11 into 17 in.
- Adjustable Seat Back Height 14 in. and up
- Adjustable Footrest to Seat Height
- NO TOOL ADJUSTMENTS!
- Seat and Back Pads
- 3-Point Positioning Pelvic Belt
- 5-Point Positioning Trunk Harness Small & Large
- Four 5 in. Swivel Locking Casters
- Removable, Washable Fabric Components- Seat & Back Pads, Pelvic Belt, Trunk Harness
- Easy Wiped Clean/ Sanitized Frame
- 2 year warranty
View the CatchUp Chair Assembly Video.
|Seat Width (No Armrests)
(between Small Armrests)
(between Large Armrests)
|Seat Back Height
|Backrest Extension Height
(off the seat cushion)
|Winged Headrest Height Range
|Shoulder Strap Height
|Seat to Footrest (Variable)
|Seat to Floor
|Fixed Seat to Back Angle from Upright
|Seat Angle to Floor
|Push Handle Height (fixed)
|Overall Width - Footprint
|Overall Length - Footprint
(Top of Seatback to floor)
(Top of Backrest extension to floor)
|User Weight Capacity