The Importance of Standing
Standing is one of the "human positions" according to Wikipedia. For some individuals with special needs, standing is not possible without the use of adaptive equipment called Standers.
There are many physiological, social, and emotional benefits to the standing position. Leckey has developed a great visual and descriptive tool to outline some of the most important benefits.
- Peer Interactions
- Regulates wake and sleep cycles
- Helps the digestion process
- Forms the hip joint in early development
- Provides pressure relief to the buttocks instead of sitting all of the time
- Promotes bone density
- Provides a long-term stretch on leg muscles that get tight with prolonged sitting
- Opens the chest cavity to help with breathing
- Helps circulation of blood throughout the body
Click here to view more details from Leckey on the Importance of Standing!